Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Three is definitely more challenging than two...

When Grayson was two, I would hear my friends comment on how their three-year-olds were way more difficult than the terrible twos. I wasn't so sure...

Well, I'm here in total agreement. This three-year-old business is just nuts. For instance, the last two months or so, Grayson is refusing to eat breakfast. I've offered (and cooked) him almost everything, from waffles to oatmeal to scrambled eggs. He just looks at me and says (in an awfully pitiful voice), "All I want for breakfast is milk." Then, with a little perky smile he'll reply, "But can I have some candy, Mom?" Heck no... eat your breakfast first! (I soooo wish that someone had to tell me that I needed to eat!!)

Today at lunch, Grayson refused to talk to my Mom. Usually she is his best friend. He just hid under the table, or layed on his stomach across his chair and stayed silent. I decided not to make too big of a deal about it because we were able to talk without interruption!

Instead of being the first-born people pleaser that all the birth-order books predict he will be, he has really tried to blatantly disobey our rules. Like tonight... I saw him pick up a decent sized rock and just chuck it at our 3rd car garage. I said, "Grayson! No throwing rocks at the garage, please!" He looked at me and did it again. Right then and there. So, off to time-out he went. Aarrrgghhh.

He truly has a heart of gold and I love our snuggling, book-reading time before bed... I love all the times he grabs for my hand as we walk in a store... I love watching him jump and play and splash fearlessly in the pool for hours... I love listening to his thoughts and questions... I love how each morning he walks over to Zoe's crate and says, "Good morning, little dog!"... I love how he always knows if something is different or missing or not how he left it...

But, oh my, these three-year-olds are definitely more challenging!

4 comments:

The Allen's said...

this post is totally unrelated to this blog, but i hate how i can't respond to what you wrote on my last wall.

anyways, let's see some pics of your new doo! i bet it looks great. it's always fun to get a fresh feel for summer.

if you'll be at the shower in FW at the end of june you'll get to see the cut on the same day i cut it. if not, i'm sure we'll take photos!

Esther said...

So it is true...I have also been warned about the threes...sounds like fun.:)It's a good thing they are still too cute and funny. Good Luck!

Theresa Walker said...

I'm sure that it's just a stage where he's testing you (again). We'll pray for you continued pacience with him.
Sending hugs!

Theresa Walker said...

Okay...mommy brain attacked this morning...I meant "patience" in my earlier comments! :)