Thursday, August 14, 2008

Too Observant

So, we're walking into Dillons today, to pick up a few groceries, and Grayson LOUDLY states, "Look, Mom! There's a man with only one leg." I flinch, and just keep walking, knowing that we can talk about it once we get inside... But, Grayson stops dead in his tracks, turns around, and shouts, "Look, Mom! That man over there only has one leg." I grab Grayson's hand and drag him inside Dillons where we can talk, and not have that poor man hear us.

For the love... where do you start with this one?

We have a good friend, Julie, who is in a wheelchair, and Grayson has learned that wheelchairs are okay. Maybe that person is unable to walk and that's why they're in a wheelchair -- like Julie.

But, we haven't discussed every possible physical challenge that someone might struggle with, and the O.T. mom in me decided that this was the time.

"Grayson," I said, trying to be calm, "Jesus gave that man one leg. And, that's totally okay. Even though he might look different from you, we don't need to talk about it in front of that man. If you see something that you would like to talk about with Mommy, wait until that person passes you, and then ask Mommy quietly. Okay? When you talk loudly about someone, it could hurt their feelings."

His eyes were filled with tears, as I think he could tell I was serious. "Okay, Mom," he said.

Those situations, when as a parent you're so embarassed... you want to go and hide, but those are usually the teachable moments that our kids need.

Ugh. What's next? We'll see if he remembers our talk in the next days... and if any of you have suggestions on how to handle these situations, please share. =)

4 comments:

Esther said...

What a sweet boy...looks like you have raised him to have a tender heart.

Sommer's said...

You did a great job with that one. You never know when they are going to throw you a curve ball.

Theresa Walker said...

I sure hope you're saving that little guy for our daughter. He's got such a kind heart (and yet he's just a little boy too). I think you did a wonderful job explaining that. Right now Gabi just stares, so I'm sure I will understand soon when those words start flowing!

The Allen's said...

just watching the way you turn awkward moments into teachable ones is inspiring to me. i hope to be able to teach our kids (one day) about Jesus the same way you to do w/ little G! keep up the great work.