Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Utterly exhausted...

It never ceases to amaze me how a tiny newborn can completely take over your life. We had a great first 2 weeks at home, but ever since this past weekend, I feel like we have a different baby. Carter is not sleeping more than 2-2 1/2 hours at a time during the night, which makes for a VERY LONG night for me! When he wakes up, he's usually starving... which is fine. I'll nurse him and hope that he goes back to sleep. We've gone back and forth with him in his crib and then him in our bed... he seems to wake himself up sporadically, and needs a little pat on the back to get back sleeping. With that said, it's easier to have him in with us versus getting up to console him in his own room.

I just know that it is stinkin' hard to not get more than a 2 hour stretch of sleep for days on end... I am up for any suggestions! We have given Carter a bottle about once a day since he came home, so we have actually tried formula at night to see if that tides him over a little longer. Nope. Doesn't work. I'm not a coffee drinker at all, but have had one Diet Coke a day since he was born. I want to say that I don't think that's what is affecting him, since he did so well those first two weeks. Shoot -- I even ate Chipotle three times in those two weeks without him being fussy later on.

We are tempted to put him to sleep on his stomach... we have tried to have several "awake" times with him after feeding him (Babywise instructions) during the day, to help get him to sleep at night. I don't know... I just know that I want to be able to sleep... for at least 3 hours straight. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!!

7 comments:

fanaticnascarweathermom said...

I so feel your pain! Laney is doing okay, but I am also completely exhausted at night when I get up to feed her. Once I get up in the morning and get going I am okay, but getting up is rough. I was reading in my sleep "bible" (aka: Healthy sleep habits, happy child by Weissbluth) and they say that from now until 6-8 weeks babies get fussier. After 6-8 weeks they will automatically begin to calm down again. I don't know if that is much comfort, but I am holding onto the fact that by mid-April we should be okay again! :)I also live for the weekends when Austin can help out and I can sleep during the day. It is also comforting to know in the middle of the night when I am up by myself that you or my friend Kylene might be up feeding too!
Here's to praying our way through this sleepless time!
Love,
Anna

Sommer's said...

Oh, you poor thing! It sounds like you are trying so many different things. I know how you can get to your wits end much quicker without adequate sleep. Does he like a pacifier? When they are so young it is hard to know what to do...feed, let them fuss, etc. Do you have one of those swaddling blankets? I have heard those work wonders. Hang in there. I am praying for you!

David said...

Jules,
So glad I read the blog this morning as this sort of thing is right up my alley! I would suggest 3 options for you: 1- Fockerize him. Add just a tinch of any everyday household liquor to his bottle. If you are out, I know mom should have plenty. 2- Drop him off at Nanas and Gramps everyday at about 8pm. Dad needs a hobby. 3- Get Jerry involved. Yes, Im talking about the manboob.

You're welcome.
Dave

Jill said...

Sydney was a horrible, horrible sleeper. Sometimes she still is. I have like every sleep book ever written. Neither of my kids slept through the night until they were night weaned, which obviously is not going to happen for quite some time at your house.

To get me through the most horrid patches, I went to bed as soon as I could after dinner, and had Cory hold down the fort, including giving a bottle so I could start out the night with as much sleep as possible. This of course, means that things have to be left undone. And you hardly get to speak to your husband. And you have no time for you. But at least you can function better during the day when it's just you and the kiddos.

Otherwise, it's never too early to start the bedtime routine. (Bath, books, bed) same time every night. When you do feed him at night, don't turn on the lights or the TV. Don't talk to him. Just feed him, change him and wrap him up.

I have always wondered if Sydney would have slept better on her stomach. But as a first time mom, i was too chicken to try it. Luckily B. was a much better sleeper than her sister.

Do what you have to do. And hopefully with time, he'll let you sleep longer. I really do think that it's not only what you're doing. Sometimes, you just get a kid who isn't a great sleeper. I hope it gets better soon!

Esther said...

I like the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." Don't have the book right here to tell you the author, but he normalizes a lot of sleeping struggles which doesn't give you more sleep but makes you feel a little better. We thought we had a great sleeper at first as well....things are better now at 8 months, but for awhile we were pulling out our hair. The book also offers a great sleep plan starting I think about when they are six weeks, which I'm sure seems like forever from now:) I'm not sure what Grayson was like, but Ava sounds just like Carter at this age, and she eventually was a great sleeper--Oliver started throwing us sleep curveballs around 3 and 1/2 months when things are supposed to be getting easier. --they all have their quirks, don't they? Schedules are the best, but hard to implement until they are a few weeks older--the other reason I like this book is that he offers really sound research behind his recommendations.
Of course we all also have that friend with the baby who slept well from day one, I have a few of those friends--they aren't bragging, it's just true. I keep telling Jason that our third will be that way...he's not sure he wants to find out:) Good Luck, there's nothing worse than lack of sleep, but try to rely on your Mom and whomever else to try to catch some sleep during the day--it's hard to do with 2 kiddos, but worth a try.

Theresa Walker said...

Sorry that I don't have any huge suggestions for you...we did use a sleep positioner for Gabi because she would come unswaddled pretty easy, and that seemed to help her feel "cuddled" by the foam. We'll definitely keep praying for things to get easier for you guys.

And by the way, I think you should toss David's suggestions out the window...although I hope they brought you a good laugh during this crazy time! :)

ourhaskellfamily said...

Sorry to hear about your sleeplessness. Peyton is just over a year and I am finally starting to get a normal night's sleep (although he wakes up for the day at 5 or 6am, but at least that is doable). He was not a sleeper either and it was really hard this time.

All of my kids have been different sleepers. Some better than others. My only advice is the same as your other friend (Jill?). Try to get as much sleep as you can when Jerry or your mom can help you. I averaged 5 (noncontinuous) hours a night for a few months. I was a zombie and thought I would not make it. Even now, I feel like I am still recovering. Just do what you can to get through it and eventually things will get better! Hang in there.