Saturday, May 2, 2009

Tired... (literally) of not sleeping

Well, here I go again. I'm tired. We're tired. Carter just passed the 10 week mark, and he's still up 1-2 times per night. Here's our routine: Eat at 7pm, wake him up to eat at 10pm. Then, we wait until we hear from him for his next feeding. He's gone as long as 3:30am (twice), but more often he's awake about 1:45am and then again at 5:30am. I'm at a loss for what to do. This is getting really, really old.

I'm seriously considering putting him to sleep on his stomach. He can clear his head up off the floor when laying on his tummy. He's not yet rolling over, though. My other thought has been to NOT wake him up at 10pm for a feeding and see how long he goes. But, my fear is that he'll just wake up at 11 or midnight, and then be up every three hours after that. Ugh.

On a positive note, he's been taking good afternoon naps in his crib. He's been sleeping for about 2 hours in the afternoon, and it's allowed me to feel somewhat productive! Yea!!

Any sleep-extending ideas out there??

3 comments:

fanaticnascarweathermom said...

Hehe. At least your kid is sleeping in his bed. Mine is still sleeping in a swing! :) And I am not a wuss, I've tried really hard to get her to sleep in a bed. I will admit that she is sleeping for some longer stretches though. The "bible" in terms of sleep at our house is Weissbluth's book called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". Holly did great with it. Also, I guess you might try just letting him go down at 7 and see when he wakes up. Might surprise you. :) "Sleep begets sleep" is my motto!
Last thing--I feel your pain. Being a mom is really hard work. I keep trying to tell myself that this is a season. Pretty soon we'll look at these babas and go--Oh my where did the time go?
Hugs!
--Anna

The Davis Five said...

Julie,

All three of mine slept on their stomachs and were great sleepers! The "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" is amazing, too. I would say to not wake him at 10 see when he wakes on his own....he might surprise you. Good luck!

tara said...

julie - i also recommend HSH,HC... but also (warning you may not want to hear this) I know it is so frustrating to have a kid who is not sleeping, but there is something to be said for each child's personality and how it affects their sleep. I will spare you a forever long comment, but the short version is, Kate was a horrible, horrible sleeper as an infant. I tried everything. short of medicating her. I ended up weaning her at 4 months to help relieve some of the burden on me during the night. It was a long process, but now as a 2 1/2 year old her sleep as an infant makes sense to me because I know her. how she is wired and how it affects how she sleeps. we can talk more about it if you want - and you don't totally hate me for telling you all this!!