Saturday, August 22, 2009

A year ago this past week...

was one I'll never forget. I was just finishing my first trimester of pregnancy, after having two miscarriages. I thought that maybe, just maybe, I was somewhat "in the clear" as we had made it thus far. And, then, out of nowhere, complications set in.

I remember calling my OB's office that Monday morning, telling them about my stressful weekend and my symptoms. My OB called back, just 10 minutes later, in person. He asked me how quickly I could get to his office.

I called Jerry at work, in tears, telling him that he had to meet me for the appointment. And, I prayed the whole way there.

I was all nerves and tears.

And, then by the grace of God, they put the Doppler on my stomach, and there was a strong heartbeat. Wow. We had thought for sure that this pregnancy might not continue... just as the previous two had ended so abruptly.

My OB put me on bedrest for that week -- it was the week of the Olympics, and the week before Grayson's first day of preschool AND David and Kristen's wedding in Texas.

So, I stayed home and we all did lots more praying. I went back to the doctor that Friday and the following Wednesday. We heard the heartbeat both times.

I got the "go-ahead" to go to Texas. Yippee!!
Carter stayed in... where he was supposed to be... for 39 weeks and 1 day. =)

And, who would've ever guessed that a year later, this sweet boy would be such a special part of our lives.

Happy 6 month birthday, Carter. We love you and we are so thankful that you are here!

3 comments:

Esther said...

Ah, that brought tears to my eyes--what a cute little sweetie. Happy 6month B-day Carter!

David said...

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, JULES! I was hoping that Jerry might have hijacked your blog and posted for everyone to see, but maybe next time. Anyways, happy 27th birthday! Kristen and I love you and miss you. Have a great lunch at Saigon (I'm guessing you'll be eating there today...)

And oh yeah, Carter is a freaking stud.

kristen said...

Yes!! Happy Birthday and what a fun, sweet blessing Carter has been this year! I can't believe he is 6 months!