Last night, during our girls Bible study, I had an "a-ha" moment. We have been studying the book of Ecclesiastes in A Life Well Lived by Tommy Nelson (he's the Song of Solomon guy). Anyway, as I sit here drinking diet Pepsi and eating a few chocolate chips (now you know MY coping mechanisms), I wanted to share with you what we read about and studied last night. Because it hit me right between the eyes. It all makes complete sense, yet I tend to not always look at life this way...
This is from Session 6: When Bad is Better (Eccl. 7:1-29)
"No one signs up for classes in pain and suffering. Few add trials to their to-do list. However, though no one advocates looking for hardships, when we run from our struggles, we may end up fleeing the very thing God uses to shape us into His image.
Trials drive us to our knees. Trials reveal that He is God and we are not. Trials make you trust. Trials prove you. Trials purify you. Trials perfect you. Trials bring you to the end of yourself and to the beginning of the Almighty.
I think we all would agree, that's when bad is better."
Wow... I was truly moved by reading that and then discussing it with the girls. No way would Jerry or I have ever wished for our last 13 months to be this way. Miscarriages, physical and emotional pain, and unspeakable disappointments were NOT on our to-do lists. But, are we better people because of those trials? I hope so. Do we feel like we are closer to our Heavenly Father because of our hardships? Definitely. Have we found out in the past year that we are not God? Oh yeah. But, we are thankful for His plan and trust that we are being purified and refined, every step of the way -- even when we encounter trials of any kind.
This is from Session 6: When Bad is Better (Eccl. 7:1-29)
"No one signs up for classes in pain and suffering. Few add trials to their to-do list. However, though no one advocates looking for hardships, when we run from our struggles, we may end up fleeing the very thing God uses to shape us into His image.
Trials drive us to our knees. Trials reveal that He is God and we are not. Trials make you trust. Trials prove you. Trials purify you. Trials perfect you. Trials bring you to the end of yourself and to the beginning of the Almighty.
I think we all would agree, that's when bad is better."
Wow... I was truly moved by reading that and then discussing it with the girls. No way would Jerry or I have ever wished for our last 13 months to be this way. Miscarriages, physical and emotional pain, and unspeakable disappointments were NOT on our to-do lists. But, are we better people because of those trials? I hope so. Do we feel like we are closer to our Heavenly Father because of our hardships? Definitely. Have we found out in the past year that we are not God? Oh yeah. But, we are thankful for His plan and trust that we are being purified and refined, every step of the way -- even when we encounter trials of any kind.
Here we are: me, Jami, Katie, Nanci, Stacy, and Kristy
6 comments:
WOW! Great post. Praying for you all as you walk this tough road, but glad you can see worth in the struggle! Love in Christ--Anna
Awesome post Julie! It caused me to reflect on my own trials - and challenged me with a new perspective! Thank you!
Fantastic post! Very moving. It has definitely opened my eyes. We continue to pray for your family as you go through the things you are having to deal with. I am so glad you have such wonderful support from very Godly women.
Julie, I love how teachable and moldable you are right now. It's such a great reminder that I remain soaked in God's word to remain supple. Someone told me once that "life that's all sun and no water leads for a great dessert". I think sometimes tears and trials are a good thing that definitely brings us closer to God. Your honesty is appreicated!
I am finally catching up with my friends blogs, next e-mails:) Thank you for this post, it spoke to me. I will be writting down that quote! I am glad that you and Jerry are choosing to grow and not become bitter...it truly is a choice.
Thanks you for sharing your pictures, thoughts and activities with us! You are truly blessed by Grayson, eachother, your family and friends. Y'all (Texan) have helped us immensely and we look forward to continuing our friendship. You continue to be in our prayers. In Christ - Bruce
Post a Comment