Friday, September 12, 2008

Any suggestions?

Next week is a huge consignment sale that is full of kids' clothes and baby items. Now that I know that we have a little boy on the way, I went through ALL of Grayson's clothes (awww... sweet memories) and picked out the ones I wanted to keep and then the ones I wanted to sell. I have been busy tagging and pinning clothes to their hangers, and the Type-A personality in me is absolutely thrilled about getting rid of something. Lessening the storage. Pitching the clutter. I just love it.

But, I also got to thinking about what I might possibly need (or just want) from the sale. I love baby clothes, so I'm sure I'll find a few things that I can't resist. But, I have a few questions on baby equipment:

What did you all do with your little one(s) in those first few weeks of their newborn life? We put Grayson in his crib from day 1, and when he would wake up or need to be fed or nursed, I would get up from our bed and stumble down the hall to his room. I fed him and then put him back to bed. BUT -- would a bassinette be easier?? We do have a Pack & Play, but it does not really fit in our room (if we still want to be able to get in the dresser or open our closets). Did any of you use a bassinette in your roon, and would you recommend it?

And, lastly, those Bumbo seats weren't even invented when Grayson was a baby. Are they worth a consignment sale purchase? Or do you just use them for a month or two and then they collect dust? I'd love your input!

5 comments:

Althea said...

Hi Julie,

What fun to sort and ponder baby clothes! In response to your questions, I had Andrew and Sylvia in our bed in a snuggle nest for the first few months. The plus...my feet didn't touch the floor at night until we moved them to the crib. If we hadn't had them in our bed, I would have used a co-sleeper or a bassinet or a pack-and-play.
And with the Bumbo seat, I didn't have one for Sylvia. If one had come into my life, I would have enjoyed having it for a month or two. I probably would have paid up to $12. But before you know it, they can sit on their own!
Have fun selling and buying!

Jill said...

Well, part of me wants to tell you to do what you did before. G's a really good sleeper, right? But the other part of me who knows that all kids are different recommends the bassinet. Heck, I slept in the guestroom with both babies for quite awhile. You do what works. But we did have a bassinet for Brenna. She napped in it during the day right out in all the noise. It was nice to have her close where I could hear her better and peek at her while I was dealing with Syd.

Bumbo seat is worth full price, IMO. They can use it from the time they can hold their head up. We especially loved it during meals, when we'd just plop the baby on the table and we have been known to take it along to restaurants too. With a second baby, there are many more times you'll need your hands free than you did with the first. But G is older than Syd was when B. was born, so maybe it won't be just like my situation.

Plus, you can totally sell your bumbo when you're done with it and recoup some of the $$$.

Sommer's said...

We used a bassinet with both girls and I loved it. When we started to transition them to their room we would have them sleep in the bassinet in their room and then once they were used to being in a separate room we would move them to their crib. It seemed to work for us. I did not use a Bumbo seat for either girl but I have heard fabulous things about them!

The Allen's said...

am i allowed to post baby advice when we have none? hmm ... i will anyways.

i say go for the baby bumbo. all of my friends swear by them and say they work wonders. i think it would be worth the investment. if only to sell it when you're done!

Esther said...

Someone recommended the Bumbo seat to us when Ava was already 4 months old. She loved it but we only used it for 2 months. I have to admit I haven't tried it with Oliver yet, but think I will this afternoon when he wakes up from his nap--I think he would love it. I have a friend who uses hers all of the time for her 5 month old. She puts it on the table to feed her solids, takes up less room than a highchair. It's one of those baby gadgets you could probably live without, but it's nice to have.

We bought a travel bassinet for Ava when she was born (like a small pack and play) I put it right next to the bed and it made night feedings so easy. We also loved that we had a small bed to take with us when we traveled. If I had to buy another one, I would get the co-sleeper, simply because it can also be used as a travel bed--but you also don't have to reach into it to take the baby out at night. We had Ava in our room for about 5 months! Part of this was due to me being worried about her and partly because she still woke up to feed at least once a night if not twice. I also was traveling a lot because Jason was overseas and Ava was forever having to adjust her schedule which I think was a big part of our sleeping/eating issues. With Oliver, we had him in our room for about 7 weeks but once he went down to one feeding a night, I moved him out because he made so many noises in his sleep. He is a much better sleeper and goes a longer streach than Ava did at 2 and 1/2 months. I think it's due to a few things: he was huge at birth:), we are more laid back and read his cues better, and he is just an easier baby than Ava was. How's that for too much info?:)