Saturday, January 26, 2008

Curious questions

While we don't have a whole lot of horribly exciting things happening in our lives currently, we are finding that Grayson's recent set of questions has us laughing. For instance, just a few days ago this conversation occurred:

Grayson: "Mommy, are you a wife?"
Julie: "Yes, Grayson, I am."
Grayson: "How are you a wife, Mommy?"
Julie: "Well, I'm married to Daddy, so that makes me a wife. I'm Daddy's wife, and Daddy is Mommy's husband. We are married."
Grayson: "I'm a wife, Mommy."
Julie: "No, Grayson, you're not a wife because you're not married. Right now you're a kid." (I'm also chuckling and wondering where the heck this conversation might lead...)
Grayson: "I AM married, Mommy. I'm married to (cousin) Caleb."
Julie: (I just let it end there... how on earth do you explain to a 2 1/2 year old that you DON'T marry your same-sex cousin???)

Also, as Grayson and I spend waaaay too much time together in cramped public restroom stalls, not only am I constantly reminding him NOT to touch the nasty feminine hygiene trash can that's conveniently placed at his level... I'm also fielding these questions:

Grayson: "Mommy, where's your penis?"
Julie: "I don't have a penis, Grayson. Only boys have penises."
Grayson: the dreaded... "Why not?" (and looks at me oh so curiously...)
Julie: stalling... "Well, God made boys with penises, and girls without." (PLEASE, can we just stop there???)
Grayson: "Well, where does your pee come from?"
Julie: "Girls still pee, but they don't need a penis. They just sit down on the toilet and pee."
Grayson: "Okay."
Julie: (Whew.... saved this time.)

Where's Daddy when we need him??? =)

2 comments:

Theresa Walker said...

Very cute!!! I can't wait until Gabi starts making us laugh with things she says. I would have to say that is one of the things that I miss from teaching!
A boy with a lisp told the PE teacher one day that he got hit with a ball in the "peanuts". She didn't understand him until he had repeated it really loudly for the third time!!! That story still makes me laugh every time I think of it!!!

Anonymous said...

I can completely picture that entire conversation. Absolutely adorable. These little one's really keep us on our toes don't they!