So, just as you think you sort of have a clue about what's going on in your almost 3 year old's brain, they go and throw you for a loop. A big loop. I feel like we've accomplished several significant things in the last 6 months. Grayson is sleeping in a big-boy bed, and has been doing so since last summer. He is also potty-trained, and all of our weekly Wal-Mart bills are magically $20 cheaper when we get to the check-out... yea for not buying any more diapers! BUT... and there's ALWAYS a but... the past 2-3 weeks Grayson will not take a nap. He still has to go in his room for quiet time, but he does all kinds of things in there to keep his little mind busy. He sings "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", he counts to 13, he reads books, he tells himself stories, he puts chapstick on his lampshade, he undresses himself, he counts to 13 again, he looks out the window and yells at the kids getting off the bus... and then, about 1 1/2 hours into his quiet time, he starts yelling, "MOMMY!!! I'm awake!!!" As if he had actually gone to sleep or something. Ha!
I'm thankful that he will at least stay in his room for a little while each afternoon, and it gives both of us a little of that much-needed down time. But, he is absolutely exhausted by the time 5:30pm rolls around. Earlier this week, around 6:30pm, Jerry was getting a bath started for Grayson. He looked over at Grayson in the bathroom, and he was fast asleep, bent over at a 90 degree angle on the toilet, with his head resting on the fuzzy toilet-seat cover. Jerry drained the bathtub, and laid Grayson down for the night. I think he could've used a nap that day, don't you?
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
ha! They sure do throw you for a loop. As you know, Sydney is not into naps either. I have absolutely no advice. In fact, I resorted to putting her in her room with the portable DVD so she'd stay quiet enough for Brenna to nap. Nice parenting, huh?
At least around here, it normally means she'll sleep better at night (though not always) but it does make dinner a disaster about twice a week.
Hang in there!
I am laughing so hard I think I almost woke Holly up from her nap! :) Ahhh...portable DVD player to the room, now that is a great idea!
--Anna
my favorite part of this story was the chapstick on the lampshade! I love how frequently you're keeping this up, jules! yea for grayson being potty trained!!! ashley's big girl bed rails arrived today, so we'll tackle both soon, too...fun, fun :)
As I type this, Andrew is not-napping in his room. He's reciting Jamberry. Or singing Twinkle Twinkle. Or telling a story kind of loudly. Or maybe banging his feet on the wall by his bed.
I have a feeling that in about a half hour, I'm going to hear, "Mommy!! I'm awake! I took a looong nap today!"
OK, there's now loud banging noises. Should I investigate??
Jules, great post. You had me laughing this morning.
Ha! Loved this blog! Thanks for the good laugh!!
Grayson is so funny! At least he stays in his room...? Easton is sick right now and is spending up to 20 minutes after we lay him down to sleep yelling "I have a cough!, I have a cough!" As if the coughing itself weren't enough to let us know, that indeed, he has a cough.
Preschool boys are a TRIP. It's great that you're documenting all these little stories that will make for an interesting read several years from now...
Post a Comment