What ended up happening this weekend: Jerry and I both worked on Friday. When I went to pick up Grayson from Nana's house, he all of a sudden started crying and told me that his ears were hurting. I look at my watch... it's 5:15pm. On a Friday night. Thankfully, our wonderful doctor and her group carry a weekend pager, so after a few phone calls, Grayson had a prescription for amoxicillin waiting for us at Dillons. Instead of meeting my family and Jerry for dinner, we headed back home. We thought that if Grayson could just have a relaxing evening, take his antibiotic and rest, we would all be good for our fun trip planned to Lawrence the next day. Or so we thought...
I got home a little before 6 and got Grayson settled on the couch. I heard a strange noise and headed down to the basement to investigate. Long story short -- our hot water heater had broken and had a huge fountain of water spraying out from it and FLOODING our basement. Oh my word!!!! Walking around downstairs, with squishy wet carpet beneath my feet is a sensation I hope I never experience again. We had water damage in both of our basement bedrooms, the hallway, the family room, and of course, the unfinished storage room where that blasted hot water heater was. Thankfully we were able to get lots of industrial fans on the carpet that evening, but we were not able to locate a plumber to install a new water heater. I must have called 10 plumbers who advertised 24-hour help, and not one of them would come out on Friday night. Frustrating...
So, now it's Sunday, and our downstairs appears to be all dried out. We still have no hot water -- our neighbors graciously allowed us to use their shower this morning -- although I felt a little awkward running across the cul-de-sac in a robe... but afterwards I was definitely clean and with HOT water. Ahhhh! My parents were so very kind and let us barge in on their hot water supply as well... Jerry needed a shower tonight, since he'll be up early for work in the morning. We should have a new hot water heater installed tomorrow. Yea! And, then a new pad for the carpet should be installed in the next day or two, along with our carpet being stretched and re-attached, and then we can get our downstairs back to normal.
And we thought we knew what our weekend plans were. Ha! =)
Jerry was so sweet and encouraged me to still head up to KU on Saturday and spend some time with my parents, David and Brett, and David's good buddies, Aaron, Dan, and Blake. Here are some pics from the weekend:
Here we (Blake, David, Aaron, Dan, me) are, FREEZING, and waiting to get in Allen Fieldhouse for the game.
Once we were inside, David gave the guys a tour of this hallowed place... Also pictured are my brother Brett (with the hat) and his best friend, Luke. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!
1 comments:
Holy cow, Julie! That stinks! But way to go Jerry for sending you to KU anyway. What a guy!
It was probably a blessing that the 24 hour plumbers couldn't come. They are SO much more expensive than regular guys. Probably worth the inconvenience.
Hope this weekend is much less exciting! :-)
Post a Comment