Finally... an article in a somewhat popular magazine talking about miscarriage. Over the past 10 months I've become aware of an interesting phenomenon. Lots of people have had miscarriages, but you wouldn't know it. It's just not something people talk about. But, as soon as you start divulging that fact that you've had one or are in the process of having one... people come out of the woodwork. You'd never guess how many people have told me their stories! And, honestly, talking about it DOES help. But, why on earth do we all stay so secretive about this part of life??
I've told Jerry that our church needs a support group for women who have had a miscarriage. Or had multiple miscarriages. It's a tough, tough thing, and it helps to talk it over with those who have walked in your shoes. It means the world to get a card or encouraging note in the mail during those long, hard weeks when you wanted so desperately to be pregnant, but are no longer carrying that baby inside of you. It's huge to have someone call you, out of the blue, and just ask, "How are you doing?"
I read Newsweek weekly. I don't agree with all of what they publish, and generally they're pretty liberal. But, there was a great article in the My Turn section this week. And, you guessed it, it's written by a woman who recently miscarried. Here it is:
http://www.newsweek.com/id/128546/page/1
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Thanks for sharing this article, Julie. I just found out that *another* friend has suffered a couple miscarriages. She shared this information as she shared news of a new pregnancy.
I sent her the article you found. Thanks for being so open about your experiences. It helps me understand what you're experiencing and helps me be a better friend. I'm thinking and continuing to wish hopeful things for you and Jerry.
Post a Comment