Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Trying, Praying, and Waiting

In no particular order, these three words have become what seems to be the hallmark of the past 13 months for Jerry and me. After my last miscarriage, my friend, Elizabeth, sent me a book entitled Encouragement from Beth Moore. One of the insights hit me today:

We learn to be victorious only by surrendering our lives completely to the Spirit of God, not by gritting our teeth and trying harder.
from Breaking Free

Yowsers... this is sooooo hard. I am such the type-A, plan-your-life-out person, who wants to have everything under control in her life. And, God says, NO! I Am in charge -- I have a much better plan than you -- if you'll just trust Me. Stop trying harder! Stop trying to figure everything out. Just trust Me.

That is so much easier said (or written!) than done. Probably my biggest struggle over the course of the last year or so, is wanting desperately to be in control, and not being able to. Wanting so much for my life to look like I had planned it... not completely molded in God's hands and with His timing. Jerry and I have been learning about the power of prayer -- how we have totally felt others lifting us up in prayer during this tumultuous, roller-coaster time -- and yet how we continue with God's answer to our prayers being "wait" at this time. Why, God, why?

"The testing of your faith produces endurance. But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing."
James 1:3-4

If we profess our faith as Christians, than we profess to put our complete trust in our Heavenly Father, who loves us more than we can even imagine. Who has the best, most perfect plan for our lives -- and has known about it since the beginning of time. For now, we will continue on with our lives -- trying, praying, and waiting, AND trusting.

4 comments:

fanaticnascarweathermom said...

Awesome post. Just what I needed to hear tonight. Thank you for sharing your heart. And I am on my knees for your family. :)
Love,
Anna

Althea said...

Hey Julie,
I'm thinking of you and sending you loving thoughts and hopes for your family's dreams to be fulfilled.
It's got to be a really hard road to be traveling, but you and Jerry are (not at all surprisingly) sound like you are bringing all of your strength and optomism to help you along.
We're hoping to see you when we're in town the weekend of April 11:)

Anonymous said...

I understand! I hear you, I relate to this so much. I will pray for you and think of you as we anticipate child #2, together, in God's time...

The Allen's said...

Julie! It's been so long and I feel so disconnected yet connected all at the same time. While I've never been in the exact situation you guys are facing, I have had to learn (and sadly, RE-learn) the idea of waiting on the Lord and releasing my plans to His will. Be encouraged though, that sometimes when the Lord calls us to be still and know that He is God, that in the stillness we experience a true rest & release ... thankfully one that surpasses our understanding! We'll be praying for you guys!